Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My 25 year old son had a child out of wedlock with a 23 year…

Customer Question
My 25 year old son...
My 25 year old son had a child out of wedlock with a 23 year old woman he no longer has any relationship except regarding their daughter. He is going to family court to obtain joint legal and physical custody this week. He does not want any legal representation to assist at the court hearing because he is on good terms with the mother and they are in agreement with the custody. I am concerned as the grandparent that he does not have an attorney to advise him.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/3/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Yes, you are correct that it is advisible to have the representation of an attorney.

You can advise your son that is is quite possible that his ex has or will retain an attorney for herself, even though she has told him otherwise.

Do you have a specific legal question that I can help you with in relation to your son's case?

If he changes his mind and decides he would in fact like the help of a lawyer, he can always contact the state Bar for a referal to a reputable attorney in his area.

What state are you located in? I'd be happy to provide you with the phone number in case he changes his mind.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones