Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have been married since 423 2013. My husband is a

Customer Question
I have been married...

I have been married since(###) ###-#### My husband is a firefighter paramedic. Since I married I have become permanently disabled. We have purchased a house. Am I entitled to any alimony or proceeds from the house.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I have been married since(###) ###-#### My husband is a firefighter paramedic. Since I married I have become permanently disabled. We have purchased a house. Am I entitled to any alimony or proceeds from the house. We live in Ohio We live in Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My husband had to file bankruptcy on land. It’s taken out of his check and will be paid off August 2018. At this point we are Not fighting about the separation. I just wanted to know my rights. I know we haven’t been married that long

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
1/2/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thank you
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Sorry for the delay.

I've reviewed your question and I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Was the home purchased during the marriage?

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Thanks for clarifying. Give me just a few minutes to type up some information for you.

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Ohio is an equitable distribution state, that means that yes, you should be entitled to half of the proceeds from the sale of the marital home.

Ohio usually does not award alimony for marriages that lasted less than 5 years. It is in the judge's discretion though and exceptions can be made.

You are very near the 5 year marker, and based on what you shared there may be some health issues to take into consideration as well.

If you were to be awarded alimony though, it would be on a temporary basis, as more permanent alimony is reserved for longer term marraiges that lasted 20 years or more.

You should look into hiring a divorce lawyer to help you in this process, and to make sure that you receive all benefits and the most equitable distribution possible.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is the estimated length of alimony for 5 years of marriage?
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

It depends on several factors, and is also largely in the judge's discretion.

You can click on the following link to view the factors the court will take into consideration:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3105.18

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones