Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need a copy of my child support order. Don't know where to…

Customer Question
I need a copy...

I need a copy of my child support order. Don't know where to get it. My divorce was in 1985. My daughter is 36 years old and is disabled and unable to support herself at this time. I was told by an attorney that as long as she is disabled and cannot support herself her father is to pay child support. She was born with her disability. He stopped paying child support in December 2016. He had a court order to pay child support, it was taken directly out of his check and I was receiving child support checks for child support services. I have tried calling them to find out why the support stopped and his HR dept. at work and no one will tell me why they stopped. My daughter and myself never got a warning they were going to stop. He also dropped her on his medical insurance a few months latter with no warning. I am on a very limited income and need to know where to go to get copy or child support order

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No not sure what I need to get that started

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He has had no contact with his daughter since our divorce in 1985 through his choice. He has not given us a way to contact him. I do know where he works, and was able to communicate any issues threw his HR, and she had my address and phone number, so he had no reason why he could not reach his daughter or me. He now has a new HR person and she will not return any of my calls

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/2/2018
Family Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. I will try to assist you today. You will need to obtain a copy from the clerk's office of the court in which you obtained the child support order. You may also try your attorney (if you had an attorney representing you in the divorce). Even if the court destroyed the original, they should still have electronic copies.

Hope that helps.

Please remember to accept the response so I get credit for providing assistance.

Where do I go to get a copy of the court order. since it has been a long time ago the records are no longer in family court and I do not remember the attorneys name or if he is still an attorney

You will need to know which court or judge. What county was your divorce in? Try the main courthouse clerk for that county.

I can not keep going up on the cost. I am on a very fixed low wage income very close to my Daugherty and I becoming homeless in less then 2 months because after 25+ yrs in the same place they are selling our duplex and we are unable to find anything affordable, accesable and near public transportataion that we can qualify for with our income

Sorry to hear about your situation. However, without a county, I will not be able to find the right courthouse for your records. I will opt out and let another expert assist you.

It was in Santa Clara county

Okay. I will try to find out if they still have records from 1985.

Yes, the courts in Santa Clara have records from 1981 to the present date.

You can perform an online search to locate the case record:

https://scccroselfservice.org/web/action/ACTIONGROUP400S1

Lori
Lori
Lori, Attorney