Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Blessin,,HAPPY New year. I RAISES,MY GRANDDAUGHTER,FROM DAY…

Customer Question
Blessin,,HAPPY New year Lawyer's...

Blessin,,HAPPY New year

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Same to you!

I RAISES,MY GRANDDAUGHTER,FROM DAY ONE,TILL NOW SHE'S 8YRS,OLD HER MOM,WHICH IS MY DAUGHTER,,SAID TO ME THAT SHE'S GOING TO TAKE HER,,SHE NEVER HOME THE BABY IS ALWAYS WITH SHE FONT TAKE CARE OF HER IN THE RIGHT MATTER,,SHE CALL THE POLICE,,AND TO THEM THAT I WERE HOLD MY GRANDDAUGHTET,HOSTAGE,,SHE LYED TO THE LAW,THEY WERE BOUT TO KICK MR DOOR IN BOUT THE BABY,,I OPEN THE DOOR AND HAD TO GIVE HER THE BABY,,THIS WERE ON 12/9/17,,I'M GOING CRAZY,,I WANT TO SEE MY GRANDDAUGHER,,WHAT IS IT,THAT I CAN DO,,I THINK AFTER A WHILE,I WILL HAVE A BREAK DOWN,,CAUSE,,SHE ONLY KNOWS ME ASK GRANDMOM,,PLEASE,,HELP ME

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I LIVES IN FLORIDA CITY FLORIDA,,

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

NOT AS YET,,DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO,MY DAUGHTER TOOK ME OFF MY GRANDDAUGHTER,CONTACT CARD AT THE SCHOOL,,I WERE TOLD IT'S A LOT OF MONEY,,BUT,I NEED HELP,,REALLY FAST,PLEASE,,

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I JUST WANT TO SEE MY GRANDDAUGHTER,,AND WANT TO BE ABLE TO SEE HER,,I HEARD,FROM A FRIEND SHE'S PLANNING ON LEAVING THE STATE.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
1/2/2018
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Loren, Lawyer

I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Unfortunately, grandparent rights in Florida still remain hard to obtain. Even with the most recent statutory update, very specific criteria must be met in order for a grandparent to obtain rights to see his or her grandchild.

Effective July 1, 2015, Grandparent’s Rights in the State of Florida have changed. Before, a grandparent could petition for visitation rights if the parent’s marriage had been dissolved, a parent had deserted the child, or the child was born out of wedlock and the parents never married. Still, it was very tough to obtain grandparent rights.

The new statute allows for grandparent visitation under the following conditions:

• Both parents are deceased, missing, or in a persistent vegetative state

OR

• One parent is deceased, missing, or in a vegetative state AND
  • The other parent has been convicted of a felony or an offense of violence evincing behavior that poses a substantial threat of harm to the minor child’s health or welfare

Essentially, if there is one parent who is around and not a violent felon, grandparents have no rights to visitation.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels.

If you meet the criteria for grandparent visitation then you need to file a petition in family court.

While you can pursue this pro se, it is strongly recommended you retain a commercial litigation attorney to represent you. If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer