Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What is the age of discontinuing child support if in

Customer Question
What is the age...

What is the age of discontinuing child support if in college

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

My son is paying now for a child in his second year of college. he is 20 yrs old. does child support end when the child is 21?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that is all. He has pd support continuously through his employment. My son seems to think the age is whenever he completes college.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/2/2018
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. If a child enrolls in “an institution of vocational or higher education” no later than October first, the child support obligation will continue to be due as long as the child remains enrolled in school and completes at least 12 hours of coursework per term, achieving passing grades in at least six hours. Once the child reaches age 21 or “completes his or her education,” whichever comes first, the child support obligation ends.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer