Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Can you get an immediate divorce if you have evidence of a…

Customer Question
Can you get an...

Can you get an immediate divorce if you have evidence of a threat on your life by your spouse

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

She has been reported. The Navy Medical contacted San, Diego PD who contacted Richmond County and they came to my moms to find me and alert me. She spoke of putting out a hit man

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Please give me just a few minutes to type up some information for you, thanks!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Under GA divorce law there is a 30 day 'cooling off' period in which the courts will wait after divorce papers have been served, before granting a divorce.

This is done as a matter of policy in waiting to see if the couple reconciles.

The court may make an exception here, but you most likely will have to wait the requisite 30 days for the divorce decree to be granted.

In the meantime though, you can and should apply for a protective injuction also referred to as a 'restraining order'.

The injuction will ensure that your spouse cannot contact you, speak with you, come to your residence, without being charged with a criminal offense for violation of the protective order.

You can go in to your local courthouse today and ask for the appropriate forms, and you'll be able to get a temporary injuction issued immediately and a date set for a hearing in a few weeks for a permanent protective order.

The protective order is also something that you can include when filing for divorce.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones