Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

We live in Chesapeake Va. My daughter has separated form her…

Customer Question
We live in Chesapeake...

We live in Chesapeake Va. My daughter has separated form her husband and has moved back home with her 15 year old son and 2 sisters 7, and 10. the 15 year old is forced to stay with his step dad and doesn't want to be forced to stay overnight or see him at all what are his rights he is very unhappy about this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Chesapeake Va

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No (unfortunately) my daughter is trying to be civil and let him have visitation the girls don't mind spending time with there dad but my grandson is a whole other story he loved his step dad but feels betrayed by him he has gotten the kids in the car and then sent him back into our house to get his mother's phone so he could go through it to find out what his mom has been doing while she was at work. needless to say there is no respect for his step he now hates him for hurting his mom sad situation.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/2/2018
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Why is he being forced to ser the stepfather? Is his mother forcing him?

his mom feels he should see him skyler is in a band with two other kids in our neighborhood they had a talent show at his school and they were so good they one a spot they were the first ones on the stage they are that good sky even got a solo. Now his step dad told him he will not let let him practice with them and he will take away his guitars if he refuges to see him the guitars were given to him by other family members everyone in the family have tried to convince my daughter to stop making him go see his step dad but she insits on him having some contact with him.

Thank you for the reply. Unless the child was adopted, the stepfather has no legal right to see the child at this time, if they are separated. It would be at the sole discretion of the mother to allow the child to see him and that should be based upon the best interest of the child. The mother should not be forcing their child to see the stepfather if the 15-year-old does not want to and the child can express that and the mother does not have to allow him to go.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!