Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I am the biological father of a child who was born when her…

Customer Question
I am the biological father...
I am the biological father of a child who was born when her mother was still married and living with her husband. They have been divorced for 4 years now. Isabella my daughter is now 6 years old. After the divorce we carried out a DNA test and i am the biological father. I am not in a relationshipwith the mother. The ex-husband is named as the father on Isabella's birth certificate. I have Isabella just 2 nights per month and want more contact. Her mother is happy to agree however the ex-husband who has Isabella every other weekend and once during the week is refusing to give up any of his time to allow me to have more contact. The three of us have had one session of mediation and agreements were made however these have not been adhered to. I need to know what course of action I can take to legally get more contact with my daughter and what my chances are of this being granted. I have the forms ready to apply for the birth certificate to be corrected and again need to know if the current person named on the birth certificate can challenge this process?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
1/2/2018
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.On review of your facts, you have a good case.While he does have a right to object the court will decide based on what is in best interests of the child. Given your biological connection that is very compelling reason for the court to adjust in your favor.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would like to discuss this situation on the phone later today if that is possible? I appreciate there is an extra charge for this. I had previously asked this question and arranged a call with another expert on this site however the call never took place so I received a received a refund. Just Answer said they would send the file over to the new lawyer once I reposted the question..
I am not set up for a call. Anothet expert could handle that.if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy Holidays!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thanks. Can you please let me know the following regarding this matter.Can the person currently named on the birth certificate legally challenge my application to have it change to me as the father even with a valid legal DNA test? If so how will he do that?Thanks
If you have it changed, he cannot. He would then lack standing.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy Holidays!Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Infolawyer, Lawyer