Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Married 20+ years, 2 adopted special needs kids. I have

Customer Question
Married 20+ years, 2...

Married 20+ years, 2 adopted special needs kids. I have variant Cystic Fibrosis, (life expectancy 25 years), I am in the 5% of population went to college, grad school, CPA, contributed to household for 12 years of marriage.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maryland...my husband works for my former client 10+ years, (he stole the client while I was hospitalized), his annual income is 500k + 200K bonus. He is extremely abusive. I filed for divorce, he never replied. I can't move out on my own b/c he diverts funds, does not pay me. My daughter was brutally assaulted 6 months ago, I moved to Arizona while she was hospitalized. We recently moved back to Maryland. I live in a separate room with a blanket, he has repeatedly had sex with my, taped it, while I was sleeping. The abuse is getting to bad. I attempted suicide 5 years ago. He is technically savvy, uses my computer to use my ID to steal notes I documented of abuse, and damage my reputation online. Tonight I asked him to pay me 3K per month to move out. He told me he is never going to pay me a penny and continue to ruin me until I am pushed over the edge. Over the course of the last 12 years my behavior has become erratic b/c of abuse. I was seeing a psychiatrist, diagnosed with major depression. I have made mistakes, texted him horrendous notes about how cruel he is, contacted his work, and continue to threaten him with criminal charges. He has cameras in the house, monitors everything I do, I can't buy anything, I have to submit a purchase request and he buys it. He says my erratic behavior, and texting his office and my threats to turn him in are harassment and tomorrow is going to start process of having me committed. I do not know what to do.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have contacted the police 6x in the past, Apple verified he is accessing my computer and told me to call FBI. He is no scared of anything. I have not filed charges b/c I needed his support. I did file 2 protection orders over the past 7 years, both granted however he forced me to drop them after the week.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/2/2018
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Having sex with someone who is sleeping is rape. A sleeping person cannot consent to sex, and it doesn't matter that you're married. You can file a police report. Every time he's done it is a separate count. You'll get an order of protection, which stops him from entering the house. An order of protection will make it illegal for him to contact you at all, including to ask you to drop it. You can call the police if he contacts you. You don't have to answer the phone if he calls or read his texts. Just call the police and tell them he's violating the order. You can put a lock on the door of the room you're sleeping in.

If he didn't reply to the divorce, that means you can get it granted by default. You should be able to ask the judge to award you the house plus alimony (and child support if the children are minors). Once you have a court order, it gets served directly on his employers. They can garnish his wages and redirect the funds into a bank account in your name only. A divorce lawyer has the ability to request that your spouse be required to pay your legal fees. Under the circumstances, there is a high probability that will be granted.

Since you worked for many years, if you haven't already, you may also want to see if you qualify for SSI disability. That will give you some income of your own. Again, you can open a bank account in your name only to have it directly deposited. And if you're already receiving benefits, you can have the money moved into a bank account in your name only. Use a private web browser so he can't track you through your browser history.

Another option is to see if you have any family or friends you can stay with, at least temporarily, to get some relief from the abuse. You'll still be able to ask for the house, alimony and child support. But getting some physical distance can help you get peace that might help you feel more ready to take the next steps.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply WITHOUT RATING so I may address them. My goal is to provide you with excellent customer service. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so I get credit for assisting you today. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer