Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My boyfriend[?] who I have owned a house with for 18 years…

Customer Question
My boyfriend[?] who I...

My boyfriend[?] who I have owned a house with for 18 years has decided that he is not happy and is moving out. We split all the bills and now I will be responsible for everything. I am 73 years old. If he walks out will it be considered desertion of the house? It is title in both our names with full rights

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Like what? We are not married

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If I buy him out I couldnt afford to stay in the house. I have put a lot of money into the house and its worth more than he thinks

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/1/2018
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Are you asking if the house becomes solely yours if he leaves?

Is he willing to cooperate in a sale?