Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in NC. My husband won't leave our home. This is the…

Customer Question
I live in NC...

I live in NC. My husband won't leave our home. This is the 2nd time I've filled in the details which is fine but I am not sure about the procedure. I want a divorce. Since he won't leave, I can't start the 12 month separation required by NC law. I ahve not consulted an atty nor have I filed any paperwork. I have paid for approximately 70% of our home or more but it is our names. I am legally diabled but self-sufficient. How do I get him out or get a quick divorce?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in NC family court?

O

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/31/2017
Family Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Unfortunately, in this situation, your husband has no legal requirement to leave the house in order to begin a 12 month separate period. As a part owner, he has a right to reside there. Since you are the party who wants the divorce, you may have to leave the house yourself if your husband will not do so voluntarily.

I am truly sorry for the bad news, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know and I will be happy to clarify my answer.

Also, despite the bad news, I would certainly appreciate it if you remember to provide a positive rating via the stars, as it is the only way that I'll get credit for answering your question(s). Thank you. :)

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, and you haven't yet rated me, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.