Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in NC and want to divorce my husband. He has always…

Customer Question
I live in NC...

I live in NC and want to divorce my husband. He has always refused to leave the home. I wanted to know how to get the quickest divorce since he says I cannot force him to leave which makes a year's separation out of the question. The home is in both of our names although I paid for approximately 75% of it. It is not morgaged.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in NC family court?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

Only my son who ia an atty but not a family law atty. My husband is an atty and claims he has a legal right to stay in our home. I am legally disabled. I don't know if any of these facts matter. I am self-sufficient.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/31/2017
Family Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney replied 6 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Please don't shoot the messenger - but there's no 'QUICK' way to divorce someone who doesn't want to be divorced. You have to file a Complaint (a lawsuit) in family court and then serve it on the other side and then they respond by filing an Answer. That's the way divorce works.

Is there anything else I can answer for you? Can you please confirm that you received the information I sent you.