Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Do I need a lawyer for a hearing objections in a domestic…

Customer Question
Do I need a...

Do I need a lawyer for a hearing objections in a domestic relations dissolution case....my X is challenging the child support calculation

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oregon Polk County

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/31/2017
Family Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney replied 6 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

No, you do not need to have an attorney present for a hearing on child support calculations. Sometimes people do prefer to have attorneys with them for all aspects of family law, but this is one of the areas where it tends to be SO formulaic that many litigants feel comfortable handling it on their own.

Okay she is challenging the courts calculation and you do not feel I need representaion?

That's the nature of a hearing, right? Someone is disputing something or there would be no need for a hearing. You do not need representation. You can have representation if you choose - but if you don't have to have it and given how formulaic it is, the determination as to amount, many people choose not to get an attorney. But you need to do what makes you feel most comfortable.