Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex has't resided in MY house since May 2017. he continued…

Customer Question
My ex has't resided...

My ex has't resided in MY house since May 2017. he continued to not change his address and claims he still has residence with me. I have been returning his mail, but he hasn't shown any interest to get his stuff. Wants to come over this weekend, but does not work for me. since it has been over 6 months does he still have a right to it and don't I have to agree to the timing?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Filed how .. the physical altercation was reported. I try to be nice and didn't file, but the police were here.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That should be it.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
when I say ex ... we were' married. Just a boyfriend.
we were't married
12/30/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If he moved out and voluntarily vacated, he does not have a right to just enter the home, whenever he wants. The fact that he has yet to change his address does not mean he can enter, so while you should allow him to retrieve his personal items, he does need to do it at a mutually agreeable time. You can present him with a couple days and times to choose from and let him pick an retrieve these items so you can be done with this and do not have to continue to store and hold his items. Had you sent him notice prior, giving him 30+ days to retrieve it or you would have considered it abandoned, you can not just do so now, if he wants to get it

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Ely, Counselor at Law