Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a neighbor that is 80 yrs old and is caring for her…

Customer Question
I have a neighbor...

I have a neighbor that is 80 yrs old and is caring for her 45 yr old autistic son. She is becoming less capable of caring for herself, let alone her son. I try to help but have a severely disabled wheelchair bound son myself. The problem is, her son is becoming increasingly abusive to his mother and stopped all meds. It is a ver unsafe living arrangement. Adult protective services have been notified and found nothing wrong. She has another son who wants to have her come live with him. The autistic son would be placed in a nursing home nearby. What can the son do legally if his mom isn't capable of living on her own anymore?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

Texas

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/30/2017
Family Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 6 months ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is Alex.

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, generally, unless the elderly person is determined by the court to be legally incapacitated, which is done through the local court and an adult son is appointed as legal guardian over the elderly incapacitated person, there would not generally be any other legal options.

Here is the link to the official website that explain the process of establishing legal guardianship over an adult person in Texas:

https://hhs.texas.gov/sites/default/files/documents/laws-regulations/legal-information/guardianship/pub395-guardianship.pdf

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

Thank you.

Thank you.

Family Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 5 months ago
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.Thank you.