Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My boyfriend of 6 months (we live together and I have the…

Customer Question
My boyfriend of 6...

My boyfriend of 6 months (we live together and I have the only working car, he is retired, I work) has an ex girlfriend who files on every ex a restraining order and did for him. We filed to have it terminated and she really knows the law but he is no threat-if we show up somewhere after she has arrived, we stay across the room, yet if she shows up after we have arrived, she sits close, dances right next to us, etc, so she obviously isn't that threatened but she cried in court and the judge wouldn't hear my Greg's side. We can't afford a lawyer but other than pointing out that she is violating her own restraining order and yes, because she has been calling and reporting us to the sheriff, we now have been too, for paper trail reasons because she wants him thrown in jail and all we are is ignoring her and she doesn't like it. But I'm scared and he's too fragile for jail-health issues, rescue animals he takes care of, etc. What can we do? The hearing is this Tuesday...

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Yes, we filed to have a court date hearing to terminate the restraining order

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

She sent us social media messages where she is basically incriminating herself but I don't even want to go down some random rabbit hole when the real issue is if he is actually a threat then, or now, and no, he is not but we live in California

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Other than she's the one who repeatedly punched him in the face and gave him a black eye, kicked his car, etc, and came at him only to have him put his hands up to block her coming and she bumped into him and fell on her ass and then she filed and now we are only going on dates and she's calling the sheriff on us and harassing us now

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/29/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I'm sorry to hear that this person is doing these things to you. You may want to consider filing a petition to have the restraining order removed. Basically, you would need to file something with the court citing the reasons why you would like to have the restraining order removed. You could cite the reasons such as the fact that she still comes near him despite being afraid of him as the reason that it should be removed. You could also cite that if your boyfriend is not going hear the woman at any reason or if she is intentionally trying to get him to violate the order, then you can ask the judge to terminate it.

You may also want to consider a modification if that makes more sense. What other questions did you have for me?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer