Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a question - My daughter recently married a man who…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question - My daughter recently married a man who recently found out he could be the father of a 3 year old. - We will of course seek paternity testing. If the child is his he wishes to have 100% primary custody because the other children this woman has have been removed by DFS - she is a drug user. He was recognized as a potential parent along with others. If he is the father - would he be responsible for any government paid benefits the child had received and would he also be able to claim 1/2 of the tax credits for that child as well if she is his?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

MIssouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We are going to see a judge on January 2nd - I am the new mother-in-law and want to best prepare him for what could happen so help him cope should the child be his

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He is 25 years old - DFS contacted him because the guardian of this child passed away recently and the child's mother listed him a potential father

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/29/2017
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If he is the father - would he be responsible for any government paid benefits the child had received and would he also be able to claim 1/2 of the tax credits for that child as well if she is his?

.

The father would only be liable to support the child from the point that a determination of paternity is made. The same applies for any tax credits.

.

Until he is determined to be the biological father, he has no obligations towards the child and he also doesn't get any of the benefits of have a legally identified child.

.

.

thanks

That is great news

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer