Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Ds. Dissolution of marriage, agreed interim order. IL. I…

Customer Question
dissolution of marriage, agreed...

dissolution of marriage, agreed interim order

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

IL

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have a lawyer. was just wondering if i should contact hers to see what she wants in divorce before we go to mediation

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/29/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Can you please clarify for me what your question is?

we are getting divorced, both have lawyers. when i tried to contact hers directly, not thru my attorney he refused to speak with me citing a conflict and that i would need to enter something pro se saying i no longer have an attorney. from what i understand though theres no rule saying he cant talk to me and tell me what she is going to ask for during mediation. is there or are they just trying to rack up billable hours?

Thank you for the reply. What the attorney is telling you is correct. If you are represented by counsel, they can not speak with you unless your attorney agrees. You can not contact them and be represented by your attorney at the same time, so if you want to try and resolve this, your attorney needs to speak with her attorney to settle this I know it is not ideal but when a party is represented an attorney cannot speak with them directly unless your attorney is aware and allows this. There is nothing wrong with trying to resolve this but you need to go through your attorney.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!