Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son's divorce was final September 1, 2017 and his former…

Customer Question
My son's divorce was...

My son's divorce was final September 1, 2017 and his former wife was taken off the mortgage at the same time. He recently received a bill for past due property taxes in the amount of $5,000. He thought the property taxes were included in his monthly mortgage payment. My question if he tries to get $2,500 from her legally, approximately how much will that cost him in legal fees? (is it worth it is the question)

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require). Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Thank you Vermont

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

He just received the past due property tax bill last week and paid it immediately

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I dont thinks so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/29/2017
Family Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It's clear that he wouldn't want to hire a lawyer, as the costs to do so would exceed the amount that could be recovered. But he could take this to small claims court, because in Vermont the limit is $5,000. So if he's only seeking half that, he could easily do so.

I would tell him to do a search on the web for you county and "small claims court." You should find either a website or phone number to the small claims clerk. Ask them what you need to do to bring such a lawsuit. The small claims clerk will give you guidance on how to file this suit and how to get the other party served with notice. You will receive a hearing date, at which you should present your evidence and ask for a judgment for the amount that you should be paid.

Now prior to do that, the best thing to do would be to send a demand letter to her, demanding that she pay otherwise he'll take it to court. He should give her a definite time period (i.e. 30 days) to send payment, otherwise he'll file, asking for that, interest, court fees and costs, etc... He should send the letter regular AND certified mail, to show that he gave the demand in the first place.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

thank you for your detailed response
I am very dissatisfied as I paid the $5 and submitted my question and only then did I receive an email stating the cost is $47
is this legal? dont answer that as it will cost me another $42!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry to hear that. The $5 is a deposit, but the full amount is only upon a satisfactory response. If you are not satisfied, please don't submit any rating, and everything will be refunded to you.

thank you!!
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer