Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am an unmarried man co-habituating with a woman with

Customer Question
I am an unmarried...

I am an unmarried man co-habituating with a woman with dementia, and have taken care of her for four years. Others have power of attorney with regards ***** ***** health and finances. They are trying to evict me. What rights do I have?

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

Arizona. No paperwork has been filed that I know of.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I know of.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm the best person who can care for this person.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/28/2017
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Unfortunately, without any legal status or POA, you really have no legal protection here. As a live-in partner there is not any legally recognized right to remain if her guardians or attorneys in fact seek to remove you.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but you need to have a realistic picture of what you are facing in order to defend yourself.

The best you could try is to file a petition to seek an appointment as a court ordered guardian. That appointment would override any POA she may have given.

While you can pursue this pro se, it is strongly recommended you retain an attorney to represent you. If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Are you still online with me?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!