Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask the question.

Customer Question
I'm not sure if...

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask the question. I was just trying to do research

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I'm in Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What I'm trying to find out is I have a 17 year old friend that doesn't currently live with any parent but she is in NC. But she wants to come live in Alabama

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
12/28/2017
Family Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. What is your question? Whether she can move to Alabama?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
legally.

She is still underage. However, she can petition the court for emancipation. What that means, she can ask the court to grant her the ability to be treated as an adult. Or she can wait until she is 18 years old. Or she can become married.

So, in sum, if she is 17 years old, she is still considered a minor unless the court order that she can be treated as an adult and can make her own contractual decisions.

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Hello again:

I am just checking in to see how things are going. Have I answered all your questions?

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney