Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Mrs.. Louisiana. No mame. We have been together 7 almost 7…

Customer Question
Hello Mrs. Wilson Lawyer's...

Hello Mrs. Wilson

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No mame

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have been together 7 almost 7 half years. Not married no kids live separate but he asked me to quit my job not long after we met because he wanted me to come to his house which is almost 2 hours away every weekend he didn't want me to work so I'll quit my job he paid me $800 a week this entire time that we've been together I don't see it going anywhere he verbally and emotionally abuses me I can't go anywhere I can talk to anybody I can't take it anymore and financially he has me stuck I'm scared I haven't worked in 7 and a half years I'm 48 he's been taking care of my mother and I and I just I don't know what to do at this point

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Thank you

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Are y'all in Finding me someone close to me? Also, what area code shall I look for when answering ? Please..
Thank you
Debbie Vincent(###) ###-####
12/28/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Have you gone to the local woman's center for abuse counseling, because you need to break from him if he is abusing you, regardless of the financial control you believe he has over you. He has purposely set you up in a position where he could control and abuse you and you need to go to the local woman's center and they have attorneys there who can assist you and get you away from the abusive situation.

Unfortunately, Louisiana does not recognize "Palimony" or support for a non-married couple and Louisiana, contrary to rumors, does not recognize common law marriage. So you are not common law married and he has no legal obligation to pay you support.

However, if you have documented the abuse, then Louisiana does recognize the intentional tort of intentional infliction of emotional distress and you can sue him for damages for all of the abuse he caused you to suffer.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

I have not lived with him in the seven seven and a half years sir because because I take care of my mom we have our own place 2 hours away from him and it's not an physical abuse and for the most part he's treating me good it's just the name-calling and that the whole control of the money the accusing me of seeing people it's just really the emotional and now I'm stuck I haven't worked and seven seven and a half years I tried to he had me quit I mean he paid me $800 to take care of mom n myself. We never lived together due to the fact of his job is where he lives and mom and I can't move there. He never wanted that. He has never not given me the money weekly but I can't ask for extra if like now my car is broke down which causes the arguments. I don't understand how someone whether married or not can do that to someone. He paid the woman He was with before myself and we were together very many years longer. Its hard to get a job to support 2 people after not working for that many years

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, this is still mental abuse and you would still need to cut the ties. What he is doing is not right and you know it, but you are making excuses for him above too. I am afraid this is not going to be easy, but this is not a legal matter it is one requiring counseling and you are going to have to make the decision to make the break from him and go out on your own and get a new job again, which you can do even though he is trying to convince you nobody will want you to keep you from leaving him.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer