Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm curious if there are any disadvantages to my filing for…

Customer Question
I'm curious if there...

I'm curious if there are any disadvantages to my filing for legal separation instead of divorce directly. My wife would like to do separation so she can keep my health insurance until one of us finds someone else.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/28/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a CA licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The biggest disadvantage is that you are going to stay married. Otherwise, the issues with custody and property will already have been settled. One advantage is that you will still be treated as a married couple, meaning that you can stay on each other insurance policies if necessary and you can hold yourself out to all business and people as a married couple. Did you have any other questions for me today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer