Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter and I have a need for legal guidance in fighting…

Customer Question
My daughter and I...

My daughter and I have a need for legal guidance in fighting a dead beat dad who is refusing to comply with court ordered child support. Seeking help!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The court order is in the state of PA. We are located in NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

For the delinquency, no. For the original support order yes. The dad is approx $5000 delinquent He was also ordered to get his son on his insurance and has not done so He is retired military.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that sums it up.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/28/2017
Family Lawyer: jb156200, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your issue. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

Each county in the state of North Carolina has a Child Support Enforcement office or CSE that is tasked with enforcing child support orders. The Division of Social Services of the Department of Health and Human Services also has the authority to enforce child support orders throughout NC. It doesn’t matter whether the order is voluntary or is part of a divorce order; child support obligations are to be met. If obligations are not met, this may be reported to credit bureaus, which can be damaging to a parent's credit rating. Sometimes, the court may even suspend a person's license or place a lien against his or her property. Any parent that continues to refuse to pay child support may be even be placed in jail.

In order for a parent to be arrested for lack of child support payment, the parent must be 30 days behind in payments. The amount owed must also be greater than one month's child support payment. Parents have the right to appear before a judge in order to explain why payments have not been made. At this point, a judge may or may not order that the parent to be placed in jail. An unemployed parent is often required by the judge to look for a job and report back to the court.

In addition to jail time or losing a license, a parent’s passport may also be revoked. This option usually happens after a parent is more than $2,500 delinquent in child support. A parent's bank account can also be levied if more than $1,000 is owed, or if a parent is more than six months behind on payments. The CSE can also take any income tax refunds in order to pay child support debts (this includes both federal and state tax refunds).

The CSE primary way of enforcing child support is by issuing wage attachments on pay checks. To collect money this way, the state sends a request to a parent's employer. The employer then takes money out of the paycheck and sends it to the state. The state may also opt to withhold money from other income sources, including Social Security or military benefits.

I know this is extremely frustrating but you have rights. Here is the website for where you need to start: http://www.ncchildsupport.com/parents.jsp

Has this information been helpful? Please let me know if you have any questions.

I have not heard back from you and I wanted to follow up. Do you have an additional question?

jb156200
jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer