Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Is it possible for me to assume the responsibility and

Customer Question
Is it possible for...

Is it possible for me to assume the responsibility and retain joint custody of a child even though her real father passed a genetics test and wants nothing to do with her

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has she taken? Has she filed any papers in family court?

Yes but we are divorced but she still wants me to retain rights and I'm fine with it also

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is she in?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all its a complicated situation I just want to know if there is a possibility of making it happen

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/28/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks very much for your patience. It's not possible for you to assume responsibility of the child until you become the child's legal guardian or if you adopt the child. Both of those situations require you to go through the courts and both require the father's rights being cut off. For a guardianship, you need to petition the court and say that because the father is not in the child's life, you should be given guardianship over the child so you, along with the child's mother, can make decisions on the child's behalf. Adoption means that you would have rights similar to a natural parent. That requires a slightly different process that varies by state, but it is another possibility. You would basically have to show that you are able to provide for the health, welfare, and education of the child and if you do that, then you can have some control over the child. Did you have any other questions for me today?