Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I was wondering if you could help answer some questions I…

Customer Question
I was wondering if...

I was wondering if you could help answer some questions I have regarding adoption in the state of ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in Ohio family court?

No......a coworker of mine is pregnant right now due in april. She has asked my husband and I to adopt her baby. She wants a closed adoption and I really don't see her at work we work different shifts so if wouldn't be a problem. I just want to figure out the steps I need to take to get this process going

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?

I contacted an attorney yesterday but that is all so far. The birth mom doesn't know anything about what to do either

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I don't think so. Does this cost anything to talk with a lawyer

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
12/28/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thank you

So here t he mother can sign a relinquishment of parental rights and give up the baby.You then have to terminate the rights here or potential rights of bio father.If he is known you then have to serve him.If he is unknown there a a citation by publication that is done to account for him and they appoint an ad litem to represent him.Your lawyer will have to show proper notice was given and thats about it.Usually the father is unknown however if he is known he can relinquish rights too.Then once terminate the court grants an adoption to you and husband.

A lawyer is needed here, the bio father is really the potential sticking point or if mother were to change mind in the middle.Other than that its pretty simple.But your lawyer can file here and you adopt the infant near birth.Another potential issue that I mention that is along shot is if something is wrong with the infant.I have had a similar situation, the child was born with autism parents weren't ready to deal with that and the state had to take the child.

I only mention that for you to understand that this can be simple but yet sometimes not so simple or say bio dad wants the child.There are some variables so understand its a fluid situation, simple in most cases but like any birth complications from within or without are possible.A good lawyer here is critical.As I stated I had one case where I had to undo an adoption when the child had problems.

You will fine, you need to locate a family lawyer in your town in Ohio where you will file for termination and adoption.

I appreciate the chance to help you , congrats on the baby.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Lawyer Referral Services

All lawyer referral information services (LRIS) must be registered with theSupreme Court of Ohio.

County

City

Name

Phone

Allen

Lima

Allen County Bar Association

(###) ###-####/p>

Clermont

Batavia

Clermont County Bar Association

(###) ###-####/p>

Cuyahoga

Cleveland

Cleveland Bar Association

(###) ###-####/p>

Cuyahoga

Cleveland

Cuyahoga County Bar Association

(###) ###-####/p>

Franklin

Columbus

Columbus Bar Association

(###) ###-####/p>

Hamilton

Cincinnati

Cincinnati Bar Association

(###) ###-####br />(888)(###) ###-####/p>

Lucas

Toledo

Toledo Bar Association

(###) ###-####/p>

Mahoning

Youngstown

Mahoning County Bar Association

(###) ###-####/p>

Medina

Medina

Medina County Bar Association

(###) ###-####/p>

Montgomery

Dayton

Dayton Bar Association

(###) ###-####/p>

Richland

Mansfield

Richland County Bar Association

(###) ###-####/p>

Stark

Canton

Stark County Bar Association

(###) ###-####/p>

Summit

Akron

Akron Bar Association

(###) ###-####/p>

Trumbull

Warren

Trumbull County Bar Association

(###) ###-####/p>
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you have any idea on costs I can expect to pay for this entire process? The birth mom said I will not have to cover her medical costs because she has really good insurance. Also I am wondering If I have to have a home study done and how much those cost.

You are looking at $3-$4k.There will be costs and a home study is a possibility.Understand what you are committing too.

Thanks for rating 5 stars and Happy New Year as well.Good luck with all.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer