Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My wife (ex but still married) will not let me see the child…

Customer Question
Hi my wife (ex...

Hi my wife (ex but still married) will not let me see the child who knows me as dad, unless i sign the divorce. I have asked her to sign something saying I will have some custody, but she refuses

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nope not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That should be all for now

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/27/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Is this a step child?

step child yes, but I have not adopted him

How long have you been married?

3-4 years, but split for 2

Thank you for the reply. If you have yet to adopt the child you would have no legal right, I am sorry to say. Once you divorce, any type of visitation would have to be court ordered and you would need to ask for it and show it is in the best interest of the child. You do not have to sign anything which she presents and can contest the divorce and make her file and serve you, if she will not allow for any time of visitation.

if the judge does not grant any visitation during divorce hearing can I still not sign the divorce and drop the divorce hearing?

I am sorry but you can not. You can not force her to remain married and if she files and you are served, that would start the proceedings. The Judge can order the divorce to be final and you can not necessarily prevent that from happening. You can contest it and make it difficult for her but can not have this dropped if she files.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!