Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband and I were separating I was moving from Louisiana…

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I were separating I was moving from Louisiana to Arizona he held a gun to me and is currently in jail getting bonded out today I still wanna leave but everybody said I would be abandoning my half of the house and I couldn't take some of my furniture is that true

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

As I said my husband is in jail getting bonded out to day

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/27/2017
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Are you named on the title to the home?

Thank you for the additional information.

Leaving a home titled to you does not change anything. It is still your home and you retain your rights of ownership whether you live there or not. It is yours, in whole or part, in accordance with whatever the deed states is your ownership interest.

Likewise, you can take any furniture owned or jointly owned. It is yours to do with as you please.

You can not take any separate property individually owned by your spouse.

Thank you

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer