Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Can I get a court order for my things and money from my ex.

Customer Question
Can I get a...

Can I get a court order for my things and money from my ex

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No I've just been asking him for my things and money

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He has send in messages that he will give me my money and things

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/27/2017
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Can you tell me what is going on in your situation?

.

Why does your ex have your money and personal property?

.

Is he refusing to allow you to retrieve your things?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He cheated on me and we broke up some of my belongings were left in his home the money that he owes me some of it comes from bail money when I bailed him out of jail and the rest comes from the train fares and hotels that I had to use use to get to Delaware to bail him out
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He said he would give me back my things and my money but I think he's refusing now to keep some type of contact with me

Ok, then yes, if he is refusing to repay you and if he is refusing to return your personal property, you can sue him in small claims court for "conversion", which is the wrongful keeping of the property of another, and "replevin", which is its return...

.

Once you get an order from the court, the sheriff can escort you there to reclaim your personal property..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer