Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am struggling with a difficult teen I want to know how to…

Customer Question
I am struggling with...

I am struggling with a difficult teen I want to know how to give up custody

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

The situation is not getting better , we have tried several things. We are at the point that we can not make him do anything that he does not want to do No not yet Do I need to contact an attorney first ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texaws Texas

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/27/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Hi I am an attorney licensed in state and federal court. One moment while I review your question
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So generally you can give up custody, but there is a workaround. Do you know anyone who could act as his gaurdian?
No .. no one else inside or outside family
Unfortunately, the state won't allow you to give up custody. If there's no one available to act as a gaurdian, the only way is emancipation. How old is he?
15
what is emancipation
emancipation means that a child is considered an adult ahead of their eighteenth birthday. Normally, he would have to have a job and a place to live outside of you. To get emancipation, he'd have to petition the court. If you agree and he meets the requirements (listed above), you can give up custody that way. However, because he's fifteen, it's unlikely a court would grant that.
I'm sorry, bit I'm afraid that until someone can take your place or until he is eligible for emancipation, he will be your responsibility until he is 18. What other questions did you have for me today?
Does the military take troubled teens at 16
Sometimes they may be able to, but it's usually up to you, him, and the military. There are waivers available assuming they consider him eligible:)
ok thx
You bet. Any other questions? If not, were you satisfied with my service today?