Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

In Illinois, for an uncontested divorce, if the marital

agreement has been completed and...
In Illinois, for an uncontested divorce, if the marital agreement has been completed and signed by both parties and there are no assets, property or otherwise to divide, all the answers are None, do we still need to submit our financial statements when the documents are filed with the court? Thank you.
12/26/2017
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Yes, financial documents still need to be submitted. Even where there is an agreement, the judge has to decide whether to accept it. 99.9% of the time they do, but in order to determine whether the agreement is acceptable, the judge wants to see the overall financial picture of each party. Typically, the only reason it wouldn't be allowed is if one spouse is left with considerable assets and the other is left with almost nothing, but the judge still needs to verify that before signing off on the divorce.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply WITHOUT RATING so I may address them. My goal is to provide you with excellent customer service. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so I get credit for assisting you today. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer