Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My girlfriend has legal custody of her son. Friday the

Customer Question
My girlfriend has legal...

My girlfriend has legal custody of her son. Friday the father went to the school and took him. He wasn't suppose too but the secretary didn't look in the system to verify it and the little boy left with his father. Can my girlfriend file to the federal courts.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, they are waiting to go over the master harris head to his supervisor to file an Amber Alert and the policemen are aware.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The father said she will never see her son again. She is so upset. We are trying to do anything it is.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/25/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Why does she want to file in Federal Court rather than State Court where this was heard?

They are not doing anything. She listens to them and is doing what they said and look what happened. Now they do not want to send out the Amber Alert .

I am sorry but this is likely going to be a matter that is handled by the State. If the father has taken the child without permission and you do not know where the child is at, he could be arrested and charged with kidnapping. The police need to investigate this and get involved. Moreover, if he did something in violation of the court order, she would need to take him back and look to hold him in contempt. For the Federal Court to hear this, they need to have jurisdiction and it may not be something that would allow this to be filed in Federal Court.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!