Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

This is a child custody question i am in the state of

Colorado and recently my sister...
this is a child custody question i am in the state of Colorado and recently my sister at 40 years old died and she has a 14 yr old daughter they both lived with my grand parents for well over 10 years before this happen now all the sudden her father wants to uproot her from the school and the home and environment that she has ever known he has not Ben there for her for the last 10 years and she is very scared to go live with her dad she hates him she even wrote a letter for the courts how she is scared and absolutely does not want to live with him she is trying to morn and deal with her mothers death and also trying to hide from here father so he don't take her he even showed up at my sisters funeral and brought the cops to take her we convinced the officer not to take her by telling him her reasons well he didn't get her but to ruin this funeral with his crap shows his mentality my parents are devastated they lost there daughter now are going to lost there grand child to we just don't get why he wants her now .he never tried to get her before my sisters death he never cared is there anything my parents can do to protected her and not let her be uprooted from her every day life that she is very happy and very well taken care of.. he does have a violent pass criminal record he states he just mad because we didn't tell him my sister died like he cared anyway we thought he new because his mother was at my parents house 2 days after this happened to pay her respects well i guess his own mother doesn't want anything to do with him its a sad situation anyway if anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated thank you so much
12/24/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sir

The grandparents here will have to file for legal custody if they want custody of the child.They will need a lawyer to do so.They have real good facts here to do so since the child has been with them this many years. The child wants to live with them so this is a major consideration.

Lawyer for them here

Contact Information for Lawyer Referral Services in Colorado

El Paso County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service
Colorado Springs, CO
Phone:(###) ###-####br />Serving El Paso County and Teller County, CO.

Metropolitan Lawyer Referral Service, Inc.
Aurora, CO
Phone:(###) ###-####br />Toll free:(###) ###-####br />Serving Denver, Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Jefferson, Douglas, Elbert, Gilpin, Larimer, City of Aurora, and Broomfield.

Reference to the law in Colorado

1. Any person, including a grandparent, with actual physical care of the child can petition a Colorado family law court for allocation of parental responsibilities in Colorado. C.R.S. 14-10-123.
  2. Any person, including a grandparent, who had physical care of the child for at least 6 months, within 6 months of the termination of the physical care, can petition a Colorado family law court for an allocation of parental responsibilities.C.R.S. 14-10-123.

I appreciate the chance to help you today, prayers to your family here.So sorry for your loss.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

I wish you a Happy Holidays too.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok well we are afraid he will try to come get her x-mas day because he doesn't believe in x-mas anyway to prevent this with such short notice
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are you still there sir??

You may want to not be home here, plan some kind of outing here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thanks

You are so welcome.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer