Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was sexually harassed by my father in law. What do I do?

Customer Question
I need to ask about...

I need to ask about my rights about being sexually harassed and defamed. It happened between 2008 - 2015. It was from my father in law.

Here is some background. I as sexually harassed by my father in law from 2008-2011. After that, I stopped seeing him. In 2012, he sent an anonymous letter to my husband defaming me. My husband claimed to have destroyed the letter, but brought it home in early 2014. I had it DNA tested against my husbands DNA. It was a positive match for his father. My brother then started to get emails from a woman claiming to be my confidante. I was able to prove that these emails were from my Father in law, pretending to be a woman as the IP address matched his computer. 
I am now in the middle of a very ugly divorce. I now want to take action against what I had to endure at my father in laws hands, sexual harassment and character defamation. My husband wouldn’t ‘allow’ this whilst we were married. 
My husband has abused me during the marriage of 9+ years, mainly verbal and emotional, but physical too. I did my best to make it work, but now it’s over, I want his father to be held accountable for what he did to me.
The extent of my trauma from what I have endured is only coming out now during therapy.
I know the statue of limitations may have run out, but I was physically unable to do anything before, living scared and desperately trying to salvage my marriage that was failing as my husband had a God complex for his father.

My question is, Can I to take action now against my father in law for what he did to me?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/24/2017
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Unfortunately, you cannot take any action against your father-in-law at this time because the Statute of Limitations has run on the case. The Statute of Limitations for defamation in Florida is two years and four years for personal injury. See Florida statutes Chapter 95 Section 95.11(4)(g) and 95.11(3)(o).

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you. As an Attorney and an Officer of the Court, I have ethical and professional obligation to provide you with accurate and honest information even though that information may not be in your favor.

Thank you for using JustAnswer

Thank you. Is there nothing that would warrant and exception to my case. I was forced to stay quiet to save my marriage, bullied into submission, threatened and blackmailed if I did anything sooner? My hands were tied.

Unfortunately, the reasons that you have cited eventhough very valid reasons cannot be used to toll the Statute of Limitations.

Best wishes,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law