Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My wife and were divorced in 2012 in the state of Florida.

Customer Question
My wife and were...

My wife and were divorced in 2012 in the state of Florida. My wife and her family reside there and have for 40 + years. I am a native New Yorker and reside in New York. Our visitation stipulation, by the way, we have shared custody while the children reside with their mother in Florida, states that I may visit the children anytime I want as long as I give 24 hour notice. This has not worked well at all for me at times, and other times it has. We get along fairy well and I do stay at my wife and children’s home for 2-3 weeks at a time. When that is not possible I have friends and family I can stay with while visiting my children. This past June, my former wife decided to take the children to the Blur Ridge mountains I’m Georgia for the summer to stay at her families cabin. At the end of July, a month and a half later she decided to move there and enroll the children in school. She informed me and I voiced my concern about visitation and was told the I could visit whenever I want. My concern was that if I could not stay with them in the cabin, I would not be able to afford to visit. I was assured that I would be able to stay at the cabin. I visited at the end of July same year and tried to schedule a visit in September and was told that her parents don’t want me to stay at the cabin. Since September of 2017 I have not been able to speak to my children or schedule a visit since no one answers the telephone and my exwife does not respond to emails. I have had to contact my former brorther in law to check periodically to make sure they are ok. Our divorce stipulation says that the children are residents of the state of Florida and are not permitted to move away. In our correspondence leading up to the summer vacation and ensuing enrollment in school in Georgia I was assured that the relocation was just a temporary thing and that I would be able to visit. I am now concerned that my former wife has in effect kidnappwd my children and I hope I didn’t make a mistake and insist that the stay put in Florida. I haven’t seen or spoken to my children in over three months and fear that I may have lost them. I’m trying not to panic. What are my rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

No steps have been taken.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

They are now in Georgia.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is there a time limit to file a grievance with Family court in Florida when someone has moved without a written consent to another state?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/24/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You need to obtain a Florida lawyer and file motion for contempt here.Otherwise you would have to go to Georgia to try and get visitation.Once she is in Georgia for 6 months jurisdiction goes there and it will be harder here to enforce Florida orders.You should be able to force her to bring kids back to Florida through courts since she did not get permission.

You will need a Florida lawyer where court orders are to enforce your rights.Don't delay here she is trying to disappear with your kids and deny you visitation.

Lawyer Referral Service

Request A Referral Online 24/7

Phone(###) ###-####br />Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.