Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

As to my previous question, without a legal separation or…

As a follow up to...
As a follow up to my previous question, without a legal separation or divorce, is there a way to ensure I cannot be held jointly responsible for any debts or financial liabilities that she may incur?
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/23/2017
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

You can enter into a post nuptial agreement to keep debt separate.

Otherwise, not really, and especially not in a community property state.

Any debt a spouse incurs while married is presumed community debt.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this and incurring liability unknowingly.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Lawyer
Thanks

You are very welcome.

Assuming we establish a post nuptial agreement to remain independently responsible for debts incurred after our date of separation (Sept 2007), would this agreement need to be filed with a court to be valid if/when one of her creditors were to attempt to collect a debt she is responsible for from me?

You would need to file it with the court if you were sued by a debt collector over her debts.

Would this be filed bis family court as a post-nuptial agreement or something else?

It is probably not going to have an effect on current creditors directly.

The problem is that California law presumes that liabilities incurred by someone during marriage are community property and either spouse can be held liable. A creditor who does not know about a postnuptial agreement can pursue either spouse. It is then up to the spouse who was not responsible for the debt to pursue the other spouse for indemnification.

The only way to avoid this situation is to record the postnuptial agreement so that a potential creditor is put on notice that the debt is the responsibility of only one spouse. By making it public record that there is no community property, or that there will be no community debts, it is not reasonable for a creditor to rely on community property rules.