Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Are 2 witnesses required for a marriage to be valid in

Customer Question
Are 2 witnesses required...

Are 2 witnesses required for a marriage to be valid in Florida?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a FL lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

Certificate of marriage has been issued but there is only one witness

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are having regrets about he marriage and looking for a way out

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/23/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

No witnesses are not required by Florida law only that the affiant, person who marries you sign it and record it.

Reference

Are witnesses required to sign the marriage certificate?

Although the marriage certificate has spaces for two witnesses to sign,

witnesses are not specifically required by law. However, it is

recommended that two witnessess, other than the Notary, sign the marriage

certificate in the event that proof of the marriage ceremony is necessary in the

future. Remember, though, you are not notarizing the signatures of the witnesses.

https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/notary/wedding_handbook.pdf

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and congrats.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.