Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband lives in different state than were we got

Customer Question
My husband lives in...

My husband lives in different state than were we got married. If I fly over there, can we get divorce in his state? We don't need settlement.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

We got married in Florida and he lives in North Carolina now.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No we are separated for 2 years

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It is simple divorce we both keep what we have now, no problem at all. I would just need to know the easiest and fastest way to do it. If I will apply here and mail him documents or if I can fly to him and do it over there right away? Also we need the cheapest way as he is unemployed and I lost everything during hurricane Irma. Thank You.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/23/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Yes, you can get divorced in the state where either spouse resides at this time. So you can file for a divorce in NC if that is where he lives. Under NC law you must be separated for at least 1 year, so you meet that requirement. If he will not contest the divorce, you can go to NC and file and have a divorce order in 6 months or so from the date you file.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.