Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My soon to be ex wife and her sister has slammed my name and…

Customer Question
My soon to be ex...
My soon to be ex wife and her sister has slammed my name and reputation in their families eyes and has caused some psychological issues with me resulting in me getting counseling. Does this sound like a case of slander and defamatiom? Thank you
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/23/2017
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Are they intentionally making false statements of fact about you?

they are

You may have a claim to assert for defamation. Actually, you would start with a cease and desist letter to anyone making these false accusations.

If this does not get a retraction, you will need to file suit for defamation. This cause of action is specifically for damage caused to one's reputation. To establish a prima facie case of defamation, four elements are generally required:

1. a false statement purporting to be fact concerning another person or entity;

2. publication or communication of that statement to a third person;

3. fault on the part of the person making the statement amounting to intent or at least negligence (the person knew the statements were false or exhibited a knowing and reckless disregard of the truth or falsity of the statements when making them); and,

4. some harm caused to the person or entity who is the subject of the statement.

This involves complex litigation and it is strongly advised that you retain local counsel to assist you in protecting your rights before taking any action in court for this matter. Also, any cease and desist letter will carry more impact on attorney letterhead.

If you want to send your own cease adn desist letter, here is a link to a template you can modify for your own situation:

CEASE AND DESIST

If you need assistance in finding an attorney, contact your state or local bar association. You can also try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database of attorneys searchable by location and specialty.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

They intentionally gave false and misleading information to family members to turn them against me.As I have no family in the area, my family has been my soon to be exes family.They have been family to me for over 25years.

Unless it is defamation per se, you will need to show actual financial damages caused by the defamation in order to have a viable claim.

If you can show that then you should retain counsel and assert your claim.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer