Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son and daughter in law are recently separated. My son…

Customer Question
My son and daughter...

My son and daughter in law are recently separated. My son does not want a divorce. They reside in Coatesville, Pennsylvania. He is not seeing his two children very often, perhaps 3 times. His wife will not allow this. My son is living at my residence, because he does not want to change his daughter's routine any more then it has. Is there anything that can be done so he can see the girls more often.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, he has seen a lawyer, but she refuses.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/23/2017
Family Lawyer: Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Christopher B, Esq.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and thank you for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and I will draft an answer to your question.

In the state of Pennsylvania custody actions may be brought on their own or as part of divorce or support actions. The custody system is designed to help the parties reach an agreement regarding a custody schedule. So if your son does not want a divorce, he can file a custody action without filing for divorce. If a divorce has already been filed by his wife then custody should be decided through that action. If the parties cannot agree, a Judge will need to decide. Your son could bring a temporary custody action and without any other factors such as abuse, drug use ect., the Court will likely award joint custody and your son will be able to see his son more often as decided by the Court. He will likely need an attorney for this which could cost some extra money but he wife should not be withholding visitation without a valid reason (divorce in itself is not a valid reason).

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1=5 to choose from next to my answer. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time with you by the site. Please see link for how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Family Lawyer: Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?