Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

The father of my son has not been paying the court-ordered…

Customer Question
The father of my...

The father of my son has not been paying the court-ordered child support will his probation officer eventually be aware of this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in New York Binghamton New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I have not I don't really want to go back to court if I did he would not show anyways he hasn't for the other times we had to go to court

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The father of my son was supposed to start paying a court-ordered child support back in March it's almost been a full year

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/23/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So, there's no guarantee that the probation officer will eventually be aware; however, if the custodial parent brings a case in family court, then it is probable that the probation officer will be made aware that he is not meeting this obligation. Also, the custodial parent can easily just tell the officer as well and let the officer make a decision as to whether they are going to refer this to a criminal judge to either revoke, extend, or do nothing regarding his probation. Have you considered speaking with child support enforcement about this?