Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband is American. We got married in Russia in 2013.

Customer Question
Hi. I am Russian...

Hi. I am Russian and my husband is American. We got married in Russia in 2013.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

TN

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. I am a permanent resident since 2011. And we have a 3 year old son

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/22/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

What are your questions for a lawyer?

Do I need to get a divorce even though we are not married in US?

As long as the marriage was legal in Russia when it was entered, the U.S. will consider it valid. You would need a divorce to determine child custody and child support. Also to divide any assets the two of you have acquired over the years.

To get a divorce in Tennessee, you'll need your original birth certificate, and an official translation into English. You may want to contact the Russian consulate nearest you to see if they're able to provide one.

Will I need a marriage certificate? I do not have it.
Also I bought a house in US (my mom gave me the money). His name is ***** ***** the paperwork, just mine. How can I make sure my house stays mine ?

You would have to get a copy of the marriage certificate from the place where you got married. It's attached to the Complaint for Divorce when filed.

Assets received as a gift, or purchased with funds received as a gift, are the separate property of the spouse who acquired them. He doesn't have any right to your house since you didn't add his name to the title and the money was a gift to you alone.

When I was given my marriage certificate in Russia, I had to give it to the passport office to change my status n name. And then I left Russia. So nobody can get it but myself in person. What should I do?

To start, try calling the Russian consulate. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Russian laws or procedures.

Please rate my service positively, as this is the only way that I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Do you have any other questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer