Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My GAL referred me to an attorney. Do I use that attorney?

Customer Question
My GAL referred me...

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

TX

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes and I'm trying to find defense.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I just need to know if I should follow the GAL's advice.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/22/2017
Family Lawyer: lawyerJ, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
lawyerJ
lawyerJ, Lawyer

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm a licensed attorney. I'm reviewing your question and will respond shortly. Please note, all information is provided for educational purpose only.

Unless the GAL's advice has been issued via court order, you are free to either take their recommendation or not. It would be unlikely that a recommendation of a specific counsel would be ordered to be followed by the Court. The GAL likely just recommended someone they thought was a good fit for the case. You can decide whether or not actually hire that attorney.

If they did refer you, however, it is likely because it is in the best interest of the party they've been appointed to represent (whether that be you, or a minor child). It is unlikely they would make a recommendation that would harm you, and so it would be in your best interest to at least meet with the attorney that they've recommended and determine whether they are a good fit for your case. Again, it will be your decision whether or not to hire them, but it would not hurt to speak to them first.

If I've fully answered your question, I'd appreciate a five-star rating. If not, please let me know how else I can assist you.