Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am concerned because the parent plan states certain time…

Customer Question
I am concerned because...

I am concerned because the parent plan states certain time spent with my 11 year old daughter with her dad but living arrangements have changed and the father is now living with girlfriends dad and he is having my daughter sleep with him and his new girlfriend. I don't feel comfortable with this and my daughter is not wanting to go and has a break down about visiting her dad.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I don't know what to file? I can't afford an attorney. He owes $20,000 in child support and doesn't pay me anything. I'm using child support enforcement but they really are not doing anything.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. I'm just very concerned about the sleeping arrangements. My daughter wants to see her dad and I want that also; she just doesn't feel comfortable about spending the night. When I tell him this he says that the parent plans states he has these days and if I don't allow he is charging me with contemp

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/22/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks very much for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. My recommendation would be to file for a modification of the parent child relationship. Generally, a court is required to consider what is in the best interests of the child. If you have reason to believe that her sleeping with the girlfriend is go9ing to be harmful to her health, welfare, or education, then you should file for that modification. This may be tough only in that depending on her age, it may be normal for her to sleep with two adults and the court may not entertain your concerns with that; however, if there are concerns that she may be molested sexually, if there are no rooms available for her to sleep in or no beds for her to sleep in, or if the conditions at the father's home are squalid (dirty) then you may have your request honored. What other questions did you have for me regarding this today?