Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Our son is going to court and might lose parental rights to…

Customer Question
Hi, our son is...

Hi, our son is going to court and might lose parental rights to our grandson. We were granted temporary grandparent visitation rights 20 months ago. Do we have a possibility of losing our rights to see our grandson if our son loses parental rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina....sorry

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

For our son, yes. He’s scheduled to be in court on January 8th

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have strong support for how well our grandson enjoys being with us

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/21/2017
Family Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

NC law recognizes grand parent visitation rights. The Court may award you visitation rights where you have an existing substantial relationship with the grandchild.

You will want to file a Motion with the Court that is considering removing your son's parental rights to make sure that your visitation rights are not disturbed.

See:

https://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/statutes/statutelookup.pl?statute=50-13.2

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer