Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Got a question in regards to infidelity in a marriage, can…

Got a question in...

Got a question in regards ***** ***** in a marriage, can you help me?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No not like that. I live in Virginia. Not looking into divorce as of now. But if I were to confront this guy or even let his wife know what’s going on, am I doing anything illegal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

Bo No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I do t think so. Like what else would they need to know.

12/21/2017
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

I am sorry for your dilemma, but I have information you will find helpful.

No, it is not illegal, in and of itself, to contact someone about the affair.

It can cross the line, however, if you start harassing or stalking the other party, but merely making contact once is not illegal.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If I found out my wife is having an affair, and I confront this guy or even let his wife know what’s going on, am I doing anything illegal?

Did you see my answer?

got your answer. So I’m clear I just him to stop contacting her. I can request that from him? And if he doesn’t comply what are my options?

Yes, it is legal so long as you do not threaten his physical safety.

If he does not comply, then your options are somewhat limited to divorcing your spouse.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Now I don’t have physical proof. My wife has confessed to me because I saw the obscene amount of texting they were doing. Right now divorce is not what me and my wife are talking but just the fact that he was her boss I think he took advantage. I’m not trying to involve work at all just want him to know I know and to leave heralone.

Thank you for following up.

Contact him and tell him so. Otherwise, there is not much else you can legally do.

If he was your wife's boss then she may have a claim for sexual harassment, but that is her claim to pursue, if she wants, not yours.

if I just tell his wife cause I know who she is, can I do that?

Sure. However, if it is not true the husband may have a claim against you for defamation. So, if all you know for sure is that there was sexting then restrict the disclosure to that.

don’t say they having an affair , just point out the fact of the enormous amounts of text, sometimes after midnight exchanges of pictures seems very likely it’s not a professional relationship. It better yet just make her aware of the phone activity they have b
Limit the disclosure to what you know, rather than what you suspect or infer.
Okay that’s sounds great. I appreciate you taking the time to advise me me on this matter.
You are very welcome.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you!
Loren, Lawyer
Loren, Lawyer