Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If a parents rights are terminated on one child, are they…

If a parents rights...

If a parents rights are terminated on one child, are they automatically terminated on other siblings

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

WV

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am the grandmother and going to adopt the 6 yr old, he has a Sister, 10 who still gets to see her mother, I’m asking why

12/21/2017
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Ok

Good afternoon. No, they would not. If parental rights were to be terminated, it would need to be for both children. A Judge will only rule and order what is requested in the motion and which the party seeks, so if the rights of both were to be terminated, it would need to be stated. If you are adopting the six-year-old, it does not mean that the parental rights of the ten-year-old would be terminated unless you sought to adopt them as well.

Ok, thank you

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer