Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My wife and I legally separated on November 17th in

California. Weeks after, her company...
My wife and I legally separated on November 17th in California. Weeks after, her company was purchased by a lager conglomerate and the stock options she was given upon being hired years ago quadrupled in value. She acquired this job and these options well before our legal separation. Am I entitled to half that money? I was told that any money made after the legal separation becomes valid (November 17th) is hers and hers alone. But, those options were acquired in 2013. Can I claim half of that profit?
12/21/2017
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
If the options vested during the marriage then you have a viable claim to include them, and the appreciation, as community property.
In a California divorce, stock options and similar assets granted during the marriage and/or partially vested during the marriage may have a community property component. Stock options that are earned partially during the marriage are allocated between community property and separate property. The foundation for the allocation is the statutory law that provides that “earnings” during the marriage are community property. If a spouse is compensated during the marriage, in part, with a grant of stock options that partially vest during the marriage, the stock options will most likely be partially community property. If a spouse’s employment during the marriage results in partial vesting of stock options granted before the date of the marriage, the options will also most likely have a community property component. The number of options allocated between separate property and community property can vary.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
We are not divorced. We are legally separated. Still married. The legal separation became valid o November 17th, 2017. The stock options were granted years earlier. They remained solely in her name. My wife works for 21st century Fox. When Disney bought them out, her stock options became much more valuable. Again, they are all in her name and became more evaluable after the legal separation. Not divorce. I just want to know if I am entitled to any of the profits gained after the legal separation.
the rights in divorce are what determine your rights to the property in a separation.
You can assert a community property claim on the options which vested prior to the separation, unless you have a provision to the contrary in the separation agreement.
Loren, Lawyer
Loren, Lawyer