Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My wife and I legally separated on November 17th in

Customer Question
California. Shortly after, her company...
My wife and I legally separated on November 17th in California. Shortly after, her company was purchased by a lager conglomerate and her stock options quadrupled in value. She acquired this job and these options well before our separation. Am I entitled to half that money, or because we were legally separated I am not?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
12/21/2017
Family Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Since the divorce is not final and even with the agreement, the judge has to sign off on that agreement. Until that happens, the property you got during the marriage or domestic partnership belongs to the 2 of you, no matter who is using it or who has control of it. The same is true of debts. So, you could still be entitled to the share of the options since they were acquired during the marriage.

We can continue to discuss this. If you have further questions, just let me know.

Hello. I have not heard back you. I see you opened a few questions regarding the same issue. Are you still looking for help on your question? If so, please let me know. Thank you.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney