Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have been married to my husband 11 years and one day he…

Customer Question
I have been married...

I have been married to my husband 11 years and one day he come home and tell me not to write any more checks on our checking account packs some clothes and leaves me. I have no seen or heard from him in 4 years. I just recently found out he is in a nursing home. what are my legal rights for a divorce for abandonment?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There are no children in this marriage

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
12/21/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Did you still need assistance on the above?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't see any response so where is it?
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 1 month ago

Since you posted several hours ago I wanted to make sure you still needed assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
have been waiting for your response. so where is it you say you charged me 42.00 for what? I never got a response?

Abandonment is a ground for an at fault divorce but it requires abandonment for one year and circumstances beyond one's control; so if one is in a nursing home for medical reasons that would not constitute abandonment.

Please see:

https://oklaw.org/resource/divorce

There are however other grounds for divorce.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that does not excuse him for abandoning me for 4 years

If he was not in a nursing home and was independent for 1 year or more, that would suffice for abandonment.

http://www.okbar.org/public/Brochures/divorce.aspx

I am sorry that you were put in this position.

A petition may be filed to start the process; forms may be found here:

https://oklaw.org/self-help-forms

It is best to hire an attorney to ensure one receives all they are entitled to.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer